Monday, February 20, 2012

Living Like 50 until 80 II Leaving a Legacy

Today is the third day of the commitment to write on my journal and excercise 6 days a week for 90 days. Woke up early and wrote this in my note book and walked around the neighborhood in a slight drizzle. I have been thinking what kind of legacy I want to leave for my wife and children. Materially I believe after providing for retirement I ll have some left over. That s not the issue, what am I leaving spiritualy and emotionally.

I am forever grateful for the fine legacy of hard work, love of learning and education my father left me. I miss him every single day and I have very good memories of my father.

First I want to be fully engaed in their life choices and career of my children for the next few years.The years after leaving Uni will determine how the rest of theworking life.A good choice of jobs and career will help so much. Just like my dad gave me his land as collateral so I could build the hospital. He gave me a leg up. Jimmy is graduating in May I want to be around as a support and sounding board, so that he can move with assurance and wisdom in his life and career. John is graduating next year as a performing opera singer. I don't envy the road ahead in this cutthroat world of music and performance. He will also need plenty of support morally and otherwise.Joe is planning to do medicine after A levels.I am hopeful and confident he will givehis best shot. I want to be his best cheerleader. Joy doesn't know what to do except inclination to cuiiniary arts. I will commit to pray for the each day and write or call regularly which my wife has been doing but not me. ENGAGE ENGAGE.

Secondly I want to provide an example of a good strong marraige as I possibly can. The empty nest beckons as all the children wil be off to college in afew years. It is going to be pretty scary and lonely. Like most couple the emphasis of the relationship has been children and their future for a long time. But that needs to change. Need to look for fun things to do together and causes too champion together until we slip into eternity hahaa.ENGAGE ENGAGE.

Thirdly like most Malaysians especially Chinese Malaysians I need to break out of the mould of just looking aftr my family and business. I need to examplify commitment and courage to social and civil society issues. That is another story for another day.

Hopefully when my children look at me and my wife we will examplify how they want to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment